[Jacob-list] Breeding Ewe Lambs

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Thu Sep 24 20:27:20 EDT 2009

I bred ewe lambs for years. I spoke once with one of the foundation
breeders here in the south, who said that his ewe lambs would breed at
50 lbs, deliver a lamb (or two) in the spring and still have gained
weight. His sheep were more primitive than some of what we see now.
I quit breeding ewe lambs because when Dave asks "how many ewes do we
have?", I figure I don't have to count the unbred ewe lambs. :-). Joking
(sort of). I have a limit on just how many ewes I want lambing in the
spring. I'd rather sell an adult ewe than keep her open. If I'm going to
hold some ewes out of the breeding population, it seems to make more
sense that I hold out the ewe lambs.
This year, I have only one ewe lamb. She is keeping company with our
retired matriarch. If something happened to our old girl, I'd breed the
ewe lamb.
As far as experiences, my ewes that lambed as yearlings were good
mothers and needed no assistance during lambing or with raising the lambs.
I was fortunate enough to own Craft's Praline in her later years (thank
you, Patrice). She arrived at Small Meadows from Craft's bred to
Puddleduck Sir James and delivered twins as a yearling and continued to
deliver twins and triplets throughout her long life.

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>