[Jacob-list] importations

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Wed Sep 23 23:06:13 EDT 2009

This is an offering of some references which may help illuminate some of
the comments that Neal has offered and may represent some basic Jacob
information for some new "listers":

1. Oryx magazine (12/70) expressed concern that the "original" Park sheep,
recently popularized by the Jacob Sheep Society, would be improved and
standardized in an effort to conserve the breed; the primitive characteristics
would be lost by conformance to a breed standard and "marketing
opportunity" improvements. The ARK (6/74) noted that the Jacob of 1974 was about 40%
larger than the 1969 version and no longer "looked" like its primitive
ancestor.

2. The Jacobs imported to Canada(e.g., Turner) could have been primitive
types or improved, it is not clear on what basis the flock was originally
formed. On the other hand, those imported by Hescock were selected as
"improved" type as he had a "commercial" purpose in mind ("Importing woes were
worth it",Sheep Product, 7/84). There is some genetic evidence to suggest
that, when Hescock moved his flock to Turner's place for quarantine, some
breeding between the flocks occurred based on the TS gene (TAMU, 2000, 2009;
NYU, 2008).

3. The "standardization" of the Jacob in North America can be laid to the
small gene pool, often referred to as a genetic bottleneck and flock
structure (few rams). The study by the USDA-NGP (2/04) covered over 2,000 births
and indicated the rapidly increasing percent of inbred animals from 1983
to 1994 and a more positive trend of reduced inbreeding from 1995 to 2002.
The 1983-1994 period was a period that contributed greatly to "fixing" the
Jacob=American traits but also marked a period of a relatively high
incidence of congenital problems in the breed.

4. The appellation used so often by Jacob breeders... "a unique breed"..
finally was verified in 6/2005 when the USDA-NGP did the mDNA based study
to look at breed distances. The Jacob did turn out to be unique and the
"Spanish four-horn" was not closely related to the Spanish "churro".

I hope the above with the sourced information will be helpful in
understanding the Jacob breed ... of course there is more.

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
1165 E. Lucas Rd.
Lucas, TX 75002
972-727-0900

In a message dated 9/20/2009 2:12:28 P.M. Central Daylight Time,