[Jacob-list] Catching Rams Part 1

fourhornfarm fourhornfarm at verizon.net
Sat Sep 19 11:22:41 EDT 2009

Dear Tara,

In your estimation I am probably the worst shepherd you will know.
We have a flock of around 50 breeding ewes and 4 breeding rams plus some extra rams and ewes for sale or for replacements.
Our old flock sire, who we have had for many years is almost 12 now, has produced some excellent lambs over the years and is now in with a group of ewes that are 10 to 12 yr.. old. These Jacobs get a hands on once a year when sheared or if something looks amiss, which is seldom.
My opinion, which I am entitled to too, is that the Jacob should be a hardy breed and that should be in the genes. Our Jacobs get good pasture in the Summer, good hay in the Winter and free choice mineral and good clean water at all times. They also have shelter to get in out of the rain.
I consider myself a good shepherd as my sheep have longevity, healthiness, proper breed type, good spotting patterns and large symmetrical horns.
You are entitled to your opinions the same as everyone else, but I doubt many good shepherds have the time to feel each sheep every day unless they only have one or two of them.

Carl