[Jacob-list] transporting pregnant ewes

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 15 11:15:55 EDT 2009

Over the years, we have transported (or had them transported) ewes in
various stages of pregnancy and never had a problem. Everyone always
delivered healthy babies on schedule. I don't think that 3 hours is a
terribly long trip at any stage, but I would think that the mid-stages
of pregnancy would be the safest if you have a choice. Just try to
minimize the stress before, during and after as best you can.

We did not realize at the time, but our ancient Lady Jane came to us
bred when we got her 11 years ago. We were in South Carolina at the
time and she came from Maryland. She was past 13 at the time; we were
told she was past breeding age and was retired; 6 weeks later she
lambed. She's definitely the oldest ewe that we have moved in
pregnancy, but we have had several over the years that were either
bought or sold as bred ewes. Last year one was brought to us from PA in
late October and she lambed in mid January. If the ewes are healthy,
things should go just fine.

Good luck!

Cathy
http://www.perfectspot-farm.com/index.html