[Jacob-list] Donkeys as guardian livestock animals?

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Wed Nov 25 06:20:29 EST 2009

We used standard donkey jennies until last year. Our second generation
jennies were born in the pasture with the sheep. We sold them due to the
drought. They would not allow any dogs, even our own, in the pasture.
They were never tested during any sort of all out pack attack, as we
never had more than one dog get in at once and one donkey can easily
handle one dog.
When I was a kid in Florida, one of our donkeys fought off a panther and
killed it. Although it was an old panther and the donkey had over a 100
stitches.
I personally love donkeys and miss ours. At one time, I had one of the
donkeys running with the rams. Being a friendly girl, Arwen would follow
closely behind me when I was in the pasture. I figured she had my back,
so didn't have to keep an eye out for where the rams were.

Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>