[Jacob-list] loupy

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Mon Nov 23 06:22:29 EST 2009

Geez, I think if I were being haltered and pulled somewhere strange by strangers, I'd jump and fight as well, and then, (as we are told to do if attacked by a bear) I'd fall flat and play dead,hoping the idiot would go away. I'd be complimented if someone said one of my sheep was smart enough to defend herself and not take insults from people. (Sheep never haltered would, I assume, consider it an insult to tie them up and pull away, or try to.) It just means you had a very smart sheep you sold. I would have said thank you to the woman when she gave me that compliment. Then, explained that one of my goals was to have sheep who could and would defend themselves, could think for themselves, and not be run of the mill dumb and docile and defenseless, as most standardized breeds appear to me to be. However, I would certainly have explained to her on the phone or at first meeting that these are not your run of the mill sheep, and if she wanted dumb, docile, helpless sheep, she sure didn't want a jacob! They could perhaps be taught to be friendly, and walk on halters, some of them, anyway, especially if taught at an early age, but by and large, these sheep had dignity and independence, one reason I raise them. I don't expect them to be slaves to my whims and give up their dignity and self respect! (I do expect them to come when I rattle the grain pail, so I can get them from here to there without difficulty. But that is learned behaviour, and wasn't forced on them. Halters are just too much like tying them up for me to do it. Naturally, it follows that I don't show sheep!) Some of my sheep will come when called, if they aren't busy doing something they'd rather do, and will submit to being petted and scratched, and some would sooner die than have a conversation with a mere human! I love their attitudes! Reminds me that I needn't feel so superior, as many humans do; that animals have rights and dignity and are to be respected!
Betty, in Vermont,who now has a blog, thanks to help from Walter and Linda. See Betty's blog at http://sheepwoman.wordpress.com.