[Jacob-list] Primitive characteristics

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Thu Nov 19 12:09:56 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/19/2009 8:18:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jacob-list-request at jacobsheep.com writes:

With Jacobs, if you went so far back as to find the original fleece type,
you may well have to go back beyond what is a Jacob. And what would be the
point? In America, your sheep have to cope with a huge variety of climate
types - Jacobs appear to do that admirably, which is surely the whole
point - they survive !

Juliet in Scotland
AMEN! Well said Juliet.

BTW, in addition to Jacobs, we also raise Navajo-Churro sheep and like your
Soay, they have a tendency to drop to the ground when caught. We've not
seen that tendency in our Jacobs. And trying to walk Churros any distance
can be very hard work - they're notorious foot draggers. I suspect they're
thinking that if danger lies ahead they're not going to go willingly. The
Jacobs on the other hand are great about walking where you need them to
go. From a management standpoint (feed and care) the two breeds are very
similar but their personalities (and wool) are quite different and for us,
that's what makes them both so interesting and fun to raise.

Karen (in wet and windy Oregon, USA)

bide a wee farm
Newberg, OR
_www.bideaweefarm.com_ (http://www.bideaweefarm.com/)