[Jacob-list] halter training

Shannon Phifer kenleighacres at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 17 18:45:54 EST 2009

This is how we do our halter breaking as well.  The other thing I do, which I find extremely helpful, is to have a very well broke older sheep to use as the leader when you are walking the lambs for the first couple of times.  It acts as a calming effect for the lambs and they learn to walk forward a lot faster.  Every year is different and sometimes it is more difficult than others.  My experience is that some lambs don't take much work at all and others never become very halter broke.

We don't show with halters on, but it is very nice for moving them from the trailer into the barn and from their pens to the show ring.

Shannon Phifer
Kenleigh Acres Farm
www.kenleigh-acres.com
That'll Do Photography