[Jacob-list] Jacobs

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Tue Nov 17 06:05:22 EST 2009

I have a friend who raises coopworths, and I just paid $250 each for two lambs, unregistered! She gets $500 and up for registered sheep. Two years ago, it was $150 for unregistered. When I had shetlands (from 96-03) registered lambs were $500, others from $600-$1200, in New England, though they were much less in the rest of the country. The bottom fell out in about 2004 (I got out just in time) and now they are going for $250 or so, registered, when you can sell them; New England is flooded with them, so the competition is fierce. Around here, registered romneys seem to go for about $200-$300 depending on the sheep. Haven't checked out many other breeds. Oh, 10 years ago I bought four navajo churro wethers for between $50 and $150 a piece.

I think a lot depends on the part of the country you are in and the particular time; some sheep enjoy "fad" status for awhile and are very expensive mostly because of the rarity, and then things stabilize and they are priced according to their merits.

A plain ol' crossbred ewe lamb or wether, by comparison, goes for about $100. By the way, I generally get $250 for a registerable ewe or ram lamb, $100 for unregistered wether. I try not to sell unregistered or unregisterable fertile sheep, for I think it lowers the market for the rest of us to do so, as they are bred, and the owners then sell their lambs for what they paid for the parents...