[Jacob-list] liver flukes

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Tue Nov 10 19:02:56 EST 2009

We showed liver flukes in butchered sheep about 10 years ago. We haven't
seen them since and we do butcher sheep every year. Around here
(northeast Georgia), Valbezan is the recommended treatment for liver
flukes. I think that ivermectin might list as being effective against
liver flukes, but hasn't proved to effective in our area. I've seen a
higher dosage than usual recommended for Valbezan if you are treating
liver flukes, but I just use the usual dosage. Valbezan should not be
used for ewes in the first 90 days of gestation or within 45 days before
breeding, so I only use it once a year. It's the only dewormer around
here that works for tapeworms.

Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>