[Jacob-list] Question

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Sun May 17 21:38:14 EDT 2009

This spring several of my ewes have been looking pretty scruffy with a lot of wool break and sloughing off of the fleece. I wormed them, although not all of them really needed it as per eyelid checks. They appear healthy in every other way.....no sign of lice or excessive scratching. We had fertilized the meadows with 20-10-10 about two wks. prior to putting them in the meadows.....and there was a lot of rain following the fertilizer application, resulting in lush pasture. Can the high nitrogen cause sloughing of the fleece? We also have had a lot of rain here in southeast PA.....could it be due to the rainy weather? The ewes were sheared in March and they lambed in April.....and the lambs are doing well and look fine.
Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
Sue Martin
Stonecroft