[Jacob-list] 4 horn ewe skulls

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Wed May 13 18:58:52 EDT 2009

ranchrat wrote:

> Heel low Linda and Listers:

> Linda [mailto:patchworkfibers at windstream.net] wrote:

> > Are there single horned cows? I want one :-)

> Oh behave...ha ha ha...single SIDED horned cows...the elusive UNIcorn

> avoids me like the plague...nothing much left "pure" at my age or

> temperament...arghhh!

Behave? Surely you jest <lol>

> Linda [mailto:patchworkfibers at windstream.net] wrote:

> > I have two five horned ewes and one six horned ewe.

> Yeh, our fused ewe horns vary from fused at the base and very

> distinctly separate from there,

I pretty much consider fused at the base as a whole different animal -
more like "closely spaced" than fused.

> Linda [mailto:patchworkfibers at windstream.net] wrote:

> > I do consider a sheep with fused horns to have the number of horns

> that are fused - not the number of horns that are separate.

> Maybe one could state something like, "five horn fused" to

> clarify...or even "five horn; left side, one horn with two fused" but

> it is sorta complicating a thing that should be short and sweet,

> especially for printed pedigrees and such. Imagine the nightmare in

> record keeping for data bases and trying to keep all this straight and

> understandable. The jargon or terminology would have to be

> standardized <roll eyes> and if we cannot all agree already whether to

> count a double sided horn as a fused ONE horn or TWO horns...pictures

> are worth a thousand words in some cases....pending the quality and

> vantage point of the photo. LOL

Have you looked at the JSBA registration application lately? I think
it's fairly clear. You actually do put in how many horns on each side
and whether or not they are fully fused and whether or not there is
flesh between the horns. The problem comes when, like you say, we
differ on whether or not a horn is a single or two horns fused. Which is
why I like asking questions and hearing what everyone has to say *smile*
On the pictures I posted of the ram skull at
http://patchworkfibers.com/skulls.html , would you consider the lateral
with the seam a fused horn - making the ram a five horned with three
true horns on that side? Or is that little sliver of a horn a scur?

> Linda [mailto:patchworkfibers at windstream.net] wrote:

> > I would consider your ewe with three separate on one side and two

> fused and one separate on the other to be a six horned. Unbalanced and

> undifferentiated is only a dq for rams.

> Tut tut tut...from ewes begets ram lambs...one does have to watch the

> excuses we use on our ewes as tho one does have a tendency to feel

> that the ram in the flock has the most influence...it is far better

> pending one's approach towards perfection to a Standard (whichever one

> you choose to use) to have both sides of the pedigree near

> perfect...certainly makes perfection or your targeted objectives (if

> balanced horns in the ram are desireable!) easier to attain. No

> worries as you would be surprised at how many people NEVER examine the

> hens they use trying to breed up exhibition poultry...if the pea, rose

> or single comb on the hen sucks, so likely shall the offspring, both

> roos and henny pennies. Feminine qualities need to be equal or better

> than the males if you want to see any speedy progress towards your

> goals. Nice when a ram throws well to whatever ewe he breeds, but top

> notch to top notch rings more true in getting the best offspring.

You are preaching to the choir on that one. My ewes are my flock and I
consider them more important than rams, particularly when making horn
decisions. BUT - you're going to have to prove to me that fused horned
ewes produce fused horned lambs. I do not keep ewes with weak laterals
and I do not use rams from mothers with weak laterals as I do feel that
gets passed on. But, like that great ewe that Laura mentioned, I've seen
too many excellent hornsets from fused horned parents. Don't tell
anyone, but I'd rather have a fully fused four horned than a two horned
*smile*
_____________________________________

> The only real hesitation I have on horns is not the number expressed,

> but the conformation of the horns...in a ewe, somewhat forward horns

> can be tolerated but in an intact ram, the horn growth, if not

> properly aligned, situated, etc., can lead to having to trim horns as

> the sheep may no be able to graze, see or enjoy life for that matter.

> Horn formation, carriage, however we explain it, in my experience is

> inheritable and we do have to make breeding selections carefully if we

> want to produce those magnificently crowned Jacobs, boys or girls. I

> also tend to prefer Jacob ewes with substantial horns for a girl,

> weak, misaligned horns do nothing for me and I would not breed for a

> ewe that if her horns were amplified by testosterone (males) would

> possibly cause her life issues or detract from beautyThere is a lot

> more to selecting breeding Jacobs than just horns...many many more

> qualities to consider and I'd never discredit any Jacob that was a two

> horn...not often you see split eye expressed in the 2-horns...that is

> one bonus!! LOL..

___________________________________
We're on the same page here!

> Linda [mailto:patchworkfibers at windstream.net] wrote:

> > What does it mean to be Canada's first GC ewe?

> > Linda

> In order to take title of "Grand Champion" say over just showing your

> sheep, a minimum of 20 Jacobs must be shown by three different

> entrants. There have been Jacob sheep shown in Canada, but prior to

> this, nobody has met these criteria. Course knowing me, this was my

> first time showing sheep and after having the animals I showed all

> take the three top spots, I thought, "That was easy...on to the next

> task at hand." Granted, one could always try to pursue "Supreme"

> Grand Champion, but hey, with my phobia about showing sheep in regards

> to biosecurity plus the fact that most often you see the big meat

> sheep breeds take that honour, I'll gladly leave that to someone else

> to accomplish...yeh, yeh, no guts, no glory. Hee hee...Ornamental

> Park Sheep don't stand a chance against economically production

> motivated sheep breeds in wool, dairy or meat classifications.

Thanks for the explanation and congrats again.

--
http://www.patchworkfibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep