[Jacob-list] Is a puzzlement: suckling here and there

snielsen at orednet.org snielsen at orednet.org
Tue Mar 31 12:58:35 EDT 2009

We have a ram lamb this year who has me confused. When he showed up on
Friday, I jugged him with the ewe I thought had just lambed (lift tails,
look for evidence). She didn't seem real interested in him, but didn't
kick him off, and he had obviously had his breakfast. I was on my way to
work, and probably didn't do as thorough a job as I should have...

Came home in the evening to find the ewe had busted out of the jug and the
ram lamb and everyone were happily bonking around in the paddock. But it
was another ewe (Jenna) who was tending to him, grunting, bumping,
checking on him, muttering. So I caught her and checked her out. Possible,
but she didn't have a very big bag. She sure wanted him, though. I sat and
watched for a while, and this little boy is suckling off two ewes, neither
one of which is the one I thought had birthed him. At least one of the two
(Dorothy) hasn't lambed yet! They both accept him at the teat, and he is
doing grand.

So here is my dilemma, when Dorothy lambs, she won't, I don't imagine,
have any colostrum left. If I supplement her lamb, when it comes... will
all be OK? How long would a person give a supplement with colostrum?

Susan (thinking they just can't act like regular sheep, these Jacobs)

--
See our farm blog at http://skepweaver.wordpress.com/