[Jacob-list] bottle-fed lamb questions

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 25 09:49:35 EDT 2009

Cathy,

    Jacobs are a primitive breed. Our ewes will go off by themselves in the pasture or go in the shelter by themselves and have their lambs. The rest of the flock leaves them alone as they seem to know what is happening. The mothers have good maternal instincts and don't have any problem bonding with their lambs or producing enough milk for triplets. That is how Jacobs should be. If they don't do these things they are culled here.
    I have raised other breeds over the years, but would not go back to spending nights in the barn or doing other unnecessary work. We only check our Jacobs once or twice a day to see how they are doing during lambing season. Our breeding rams stay in with the flock all year round and do not bother the ewes or the lambs. We often see the lambs nuzzling the ram or jump on his back and he doesn't mind at all.
   We have four different breeding groups this year. The head of our old breeding group is 11 yrs. old and most of his ewes are 9, 10 & 11. We have three more ewes to lamb this year and will have 60 plus lambs.
    We all want to take good care of our sheep and should do so, but it is my sincere hope that we will keep them the hardy, primitive breed they are meant to be and not kill them with kindness.

Regards,
Carl

Carl and Judy Fosbrink
www.4hornfarm.com