[Jacob-list] bottle-fed lamb questions

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 24 22:46:14 EDT 2009

>Why did you leave the ewe and her lambs in a jug for two weeks? If

> there was a problem, that is a reason, but that is the reason for your

> problem with the lamb. If left separated from the flock for too long the

> flock will not accept the ewe or her lambs back into the flock without

> re-establishing the pecking order, which involves a lot of head butting.

=========
My friend raises Icelandics and she leaves the ewe and her lambs in the jug
for two weeks. She also supplements the triplets; especially the lambs not
getting enough to eat. She says it helps the bonding of the ewe and lambs
and, as I recall, to prevent injuries to the lambs when they are newborns.
She has no problems with the ewes and lambs returning to the flock after
two weeks. I only have one jug set up, for emergencies, so I am not able
to do this. I put the ewe and lambs in the jug for a few days after birth
or put a gate up in the barn and keep them there for a few days. No
problems doing it this way either.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho