[Jacob-list] registration question

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Wed Mar 18 13:14:19 EDT 2009

I am going to skip what JSBA has as policy and go right to heart of the
previous question asked by Peggy. I think part of the reason that we do not
see more outliers is that most experienced breeders do not send them in for
registration. Perhaps we would rather cull them than get a reputation with
substandard animals.

"How do these things happen in an established line of Jacobs Sheep?"

As much as we might like to ignore it, there is variation in these type
traits and the sudden odd thing popping up is to be expected. This does not
mean it is desirable, and I do not in the least question the inspectors if
they fail such animals. Including them in the flockbook would increase the
odds that we will have more non-standard sheep in the future, which would
undermine the value of other animals in our flock.

Extreme color percentage is more common as an out-lying trait, but I have
seen wool forward of the horns as well. Of the two, wool forward of the
horns is MORE LIKELY to be evidence of cross-breeding, but I would be a
little skeptical of anyone that automatically regarded this as
cross-breeding. Neither of these things is the result of a single gene that
pops out showing the "polluting effect" after many generations.

Excessive white or excessive color are the result of natural variations in
the piebald expression. In a random sampling of animals without selection
against the trait, the color range will expand and there will constantly be
more and more out-liers.

In my experience, selection for greater fineness of fleece and more wool
quantity will eventually produce some individuals with "bangs". This may
well shed off after the first year or so.

It might be better to always evaluate our sheep only as mature animals.
However, we need to remember that our goal with Jacobs is hard to achieve,
because we are seeking to keep them average within a range. Unlike Merino
where you can't get the wool too fine, or monster show Suffolks where you
can't get the ******* too big, we have to select against both extremes.
Percent color, horn set, wool fineness and weight, etc., all supposed to be
kinda in the middle.

Neal Grose