[Jacob-list] question - effects of crop applications

evelyn489 at aol.com evelyn489 at aol.com
Sun Mar 15 19:17:30 EDT 2009

This is a really odd question but I thought I'd shoot it out there and see if I got any thoughts.

Our pasture goes to our property line?and our neighbor farm is a large parcel of land that is used for a variety of things, soybeans, alfalfa, timothy etc.? Is that farmer under any obligation to me to report what he is applying to his land?? I ask this because whatever fertilizers etc are sprayed on are pretty noxious to my untrained nose?and I'm wondering what effect they have on my sheep who are out there close to what they are spraying.? Is there any setback he has to follow?? ?Also my biggest problem with this farmer is that he reduces a manure pool from his other farm of dairy cows by spraying HUGE amounts of liquid manure throughout the summer/fall.? This creates a huge fly problem for my sheep not to mention my house and family.? We have spoken to the soil conservation district and it is worth noting that we are in the Chesapeake Bay watershed.? However, this is the single biggest remaining Dairy farmer in the county, head of the county fairboard, etc. so he is a "goo
d ole boy".

Your wisdom is appreciated!? If I could move my sheep I certainly would but we have just a small farmette.

Evelyn