[Jacob-list] bottle lamb

hobbyknobfarm hobbyknobfarm at main.nc.us
Tue Mar 10 16:26:07 EDT 2009

Kathy,
This is just what I did with my ewe that would not feed her lambs-and it was a Jacob and she did it 2 years in a row so needless to say she was culled. However, her offspring was a perfect mother, not sure what her problem was. I let mom and lambs out after about a week of holding mom in the pen and letting them nurse along with the bottle feedings. I caught it right away and wanted to get the colostrum in the babies. They thrived by the way! Anyway, I didn't have any trouble getting them to come to me in the pasture as they were pretty sure of where there food source was coming from by the time they went out. After 6 feedings a day for a week from a bottle, they knew. I by the way fed mine til they were at least 10-12 weeks. They were eating some hay and grass (if it was there) and grain by then. Since I lamb late I am not weaning til may or June anyway and they usually have grass. I was always down to only 2 feedings by them anyway. Good luck
Elizabeth
www.hobbyknobfarm.com