[Jacob-list] Suggestions for top seeding meadows

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Mon Mar 2 12:14:36 EST 2009

We have several meadows for our sheep - probably totaling not over 6 acres. We have bare spots and need to top seed and we thought we would just take advantage of the freeze/thaw situation here in southeast PA and scatter the seed in early Spring - like soon (well, after this current blizzard is over!) Then I spoke with the seed distributor who told me that grass seed really doesn't do well in this application, that it is too light, will just blow away and won't germinate - that we should drill it in. However, we are hobby shepherds - we have a 20 horse Kubota tractor, no drill, no cultipacker, etc. So, can anyone on the list give me suggestions of how we can top seed - please don't suggest a landscaper to do the job because the cost would be prohibitive - it would be more economical to just let the bare spots and buy hay!!

Thanks......you guys always are so helpful.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft