[Jacob-list] rams with cows

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Wed Jun 24 22:37:38 EDT 2009

OK, some rams will try to breed goats (just as goats can be used as teasers for ewes), cows, and the occasional tree stump.
(One item of note: if the does are from a primitive breed, such as Angora, there is a chance that a hybrid offspring may result. We think that we had a AngoraXJacob many years ago.)

Generally though, there should not be a problem with keeping a ram in with other mature animals. We have had Jacob rams and cattle together before with sometimes hilarious results.
Our first ram was pretty sure that he was THE dominant animal in any given situation...even when staring down a 1600 pound Holstein.

Then there was Buster and Jan. Buster was as easy going as a ram could be and seemed to enjoy sharing his paddock with a shaggy little Hgihland cow. Come breeding season, I thought it would be simple to divide the flock and put half in with him. Jan, who was smarter and a bit more mischievous than the average cow decided that it was fun to annoy the ram when he needed to do his job. One morning I was startled to see Buster chasing Jan around the pasture, and every time she slowed down, he would pop her in the rear. She deserved it.

Neal Grose