[Jacob-list] Ram Overdosed on Corn

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 23 17:44:53 EDT 2009

>If sheep do get acidosis, the best treatment is to try to neutralize the

>acid in the rumen. This is done with baking soda diluted with water and

>physically drenching the sheep or the free choice feeding of it (if they

>will eat it). Also, treating the sheep with an anti-inflammatory agent

>(banamine or aspirin) will help reduce fever and founder problems.

>Treating them with an antibiotic is also recommended.

=========
All true, except I was advised to mix mineral oil with the baking soda;
although Linda did write to dilute the baking soda with water. That is
probably fine. The mineral oil protects the innards from the strong
chemical reaction of the baking soda with the acid in the rumen. Just
plain, undiluted baking soda causes problems. Also start feeding lots of
grass hay. Perhaps giving some goat yogurt with active cultures would help
too.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho