[Jacob-list] 3 new Jacobs

Melanie Boxall melanie.boxall at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 19 13:10:40 EST 2009

I rarely have anything to post here as my objective is somewhat different,
but on that note I thought I'd offer a heads up. Many of will already know
this, but some may not, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

We took 7 sheep to the butcher last year, mostly yearlings, but one rather
bad-tempered old ram too. I'd had enough of his attitude.

I told the butcher CATEGORICALLY to keep the ram separate and label him as
mutton. He didn't.

I was cross because I intended to sell some of the lamb, but didn't want to
sully my reputation with the mutton getting mixed in. So we didn't sell any.

We have eaten meat from every corner of that freezer, it has been rummaged
through, tipped out, shuffled...there is no way our picks have always been
lamb by chance. But I have not noticed any muttony flavour. Certainly not a
rammy flavour.

I can only conclude it all tastes the same. I would never have believed an
old ram could taste like lamb, but there it is.

What an amazing breed they are.

Melanie
"Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stranger."