[Jacob-list] Shearing Time! / Grey Banding in Fleeces

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Jan 19 06:15:17 EST 2009

We also live in and area where there can be severe problems from mineral
interference. One local non-Jacob breeder had copper anemia that the vet
students suggested had come from the sheep licking her dry zinc-sulfate
footbath (Which I had suggested that she use to treat her foot rot problem.
Successfully, I might add.) It is more likely that the problem came from
forages grown on her high iron and aluminum soils, which she never limed.
High acid soils can release minerals into the forage in quantities that can
lead to toxicity.

I would check with a local dairy nutritionist. Beef cattle can tolerate a
wide range of mineral problems. Dairy farmers have to be more attuned to
mineral balance in feeds and are more likely to be aware of unusual
conditions.

Neal Grose
N.C. dairy farmer