[Jacob-list] Shearing Time! / Grey Banding in Fleeces

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 18 22:49:40 EST 2009

>What might be the cause of grey bands in the fleeces? These bands are only

>across what would be the "black" spots, and are verying shades of grey.

They

>look pleasant, but at this rate I'm not going to have any black wool! I'm

>thinking it may be something nutritional, but am not sure

The question was answered by others on this list, but I will tell my tale.
I remember on sheep-list once, someone noticed distinct gray banding on a
fleece that was shown on an eBay auction. The wide banding was horizontal
on the fleece, from one side to the other. Maybe there was more than one
band, I don't remember. Looked really strange. All I can remember is that
it is due to a mineral problem, better explained by others on this list. I
didn't follow up and find out what that banded fleece sold for on eBay.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho