[Jacob-list] Washing fleece ans pelts

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Sun Aug 16 18:23:32 EDT 2009

I have heard that about woolite and I do not recommend woolite for any
woolen items I sell. My original question was regarding washing pelts,
but it is interesting to hear how others wash their fleeces.

Like Robin, I do a cold water soak first. Saves alot of electricity and
you get a much cleaner fleece with less electricity used.

I do use my washing machine for the cold water soak as well as for the
hot water soak and rinse. When we built this house one of the things I
insisted on was a way to divert the washing machine exhaust water to the
garden/pasture. It's pretty basic and goes directly from the exhaust
hose on the washer to pipes that empty into a 55 drum and on from there.
The guys got techie when they designed the system I asked for, but it
just ended up backing up and being a nuisance. My revised system is so
simple that it's stupid - but it works. I've never had any problem with
the washer getting plugged up, but if I had a brand new expensive
machine, I might worry more. I'm not terribly protective of my washing
machine :-)

Cheryl, I also like a shorter soak for the hot water wash and rinses.
There are some washing products (like Borax) that are maybe fine for 10
minutes and then they start to eat your wool. I've never really cared
all that much for Orvis for washing fleeces. The wool seems just abit
too greasy for me to want to run through my Supercard. Dawn worked fine
for me with no damage to the wool, but is more expensive than some other
options. A fiber mill once told me that used something that was the same
as Era laundry detergent. I've found some laundry detergents that work
well for me. I sometimes add a bit of Simple Green - again - short soak
time.

Linda