[Jacob-list] some ideas?

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 16 02:41:18 EDT 2009

>On Tue, April 14, 2009 3:57 pm, G & J Johnston said:

>> I think that once you begin to wonder if the time has

> >come, then it probably has.

>Very lovingly put, dear.

>Susan

=========
Quite true. One sign that an elderly sheep is near the end is the changes
in the fleece; actually, it is the lack of fleece. Last year we sheared
our 13-yr-old ram and I wish we hadn't. Through last summer I noticed that
the fleece wasn't growing in very thick and by the time the temperatures
dropped in the fall he had a thin wool coat and he was getting cold at
night. Before we could put him down, he died during the night. Same thing
with very old dogs. Sometimes they are shaved down for the summer heat and
the coat grows back thin and the hair is fine and wispy, some spots are
almost bald. We now have an old ewe with some missing teeth that we are
debating about getting sheared. She had a rough time through a couple of
very cold spells this last winter. If we shear, I don't think her fleece
will grow back in thick for this coming winter cold so we probably won't
shear her this spring. So, if the above saying is true, then we are
"wondering if the time has come" which means "it probably has".

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho