[Jacob-list] older ewes

Heather Hettick hettick1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 14:32:03 EDT 2009

This is a helpful discussion to me as I have a limited space for my flock and have three "problem" ewes I'm seriously considering culling.

Magnolia is only 7, but doesn't keep weigh on well and looks miserable all the time and gets a wool break from lambing every year. She raises her lambs well, but at her own expense. Oddly enough her half sister/aunt Hazel is one of my most thrifty sheep.

Thistle is nine but has a bad udder on one side and can't really handle more than one lamb at a time. She seems content though and keeps weight on better than Magnolia. I feel bad sending her to market or making her into food for the dogs, but she has triplets and twins pretty reliably and I can't deal with bottle lambs and a full time job very well. I'll feel bad sending Thistle, but she may go if I need the space. I'd rather find her a home where she can have help with her lambs.

Flopsy is one of my favorites for fleece and horns but had mastitis this year and last. She lost one lamb last year and refused to feed one of them this year. I"ll probalby give her one more chance, but I"m keeping her daughter this year and she may go next year if she continues to have problems.

I really hate culling, but sometimes it has to be done to make way for the others. I don't have a place to keep non breeding ewes and my pasture is small.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Farm
Creston, OH