[Jacob-list] Thin ewe

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Thu Sep 4 15:19:58 EDT 2008

Several have you have emailed suggesting listeriosis as a possible cause for our thin ewe, Claire, due to her symptom of circling. The vet did not think that was the case since Claire has no fever, shows no paralysis, no facial drooping, no one sided weakness, no one sided reflex response of her eyes, etc........this sheep is normal in every way except for being exceptionally thin and when moving she circles. I had asked the vet about listeriosis but she said there would most likely be the other symptoms mentioned above - not just the circling. Have any of you experienced listeriosis? Also, the fecals on Claire were negative. As mentioned before, the vet thought perhaps a tumor near the spinal cord, etc. She hasn't worsened and perhaps has improved slightly. I am now in the process of teaching my husband to do the Vit. B injections as I will be out of town for a few days -- he's not too thrilled about adding this skill to his job description!!!!

Sue
Stonecroft