[Jacob-list] Thin ewe

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 4 12:59:40 EDT 2008

>The vet said the most concerning thing is the fact that when Claire moves

she circles - she doesn't fall, isn't unsteady, but she circles counter

>clockwise which would indicate something neurological going on -

========
There was a case I recall where two ewes kept there head down, looking to
the back and they moved in circles. I thought it could be polio (PEM) and
it sounds like your vet thinks the same thing. Turns out both ewes died
from listeriosis caused by bacteria from the sheep eating moldy feed or
something moldy in the pasture. It is a problem where people are feeding
those huge round bales of hay. I will read more about it and get back to
you. You might find some info online.

I checked in Laura Lawson's book (that isn't popular with SOME people on
this list) and she mentions that the sheep walks in tight circles due to
paralysis on one side. There are other symptoms too. One side of the face
is affected causing the head to turn. There is excess drooling and a
corner of the mouth droops. The sheep has a mild fever and diarrhea. The
treatment is Procaine Penicillin G at high levels of 20,000 units per pound
of body weight every 6 hours for 7 to 14 days then reduce this amount for
another 14 days. Wow!! Due to the high amount of this antibiotic, I would
definitely consult with the vet again. Also give plenty of water and
electrolytes. She recommends vitamin B-Complex to stimulate the diet.

Hope this helps,
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho