[Jacob-list] Update on our thin ewe

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Wed Sep 3 18:42:10 EDT 2008

Here's an update on my thin ewe: The vet was here yesterday and examined Claire - her lungs and heart are fine, good bowel sounds. All her glands are normal, temp is normal, teeth are normal, she is very thin although the vet didn't consider her to be emaciated. A stool test for parasites was negative. The vet recommended that I give a B complex injection every day for 5 days, give this ewe all the sweet feed she wants, free feed alfalfa hay, dose her with propylene glycol twice daily and give her probiotics daily. The vet said the most concerning thing is the fact that when Claire moves she circles - she doesn't fall, isn't unsteady, but she circles counter clockwise which would indicate something neurological going on - perhaps a tumor near the spinal cord, etc. So I will continue doing all of the above -- I was doing all of the above anyway, but now I have spent a small fortune to have the vet validate it......and we'll see what happens. I also put one of Claire's lambs in with her for companionship - the vet seemed certain there isn't anything contagious going on here. Thankfully this vet (a young woman who didn't look a day over 18) has her own flock of Montadales, so has a personal interest in sheep -- most large animal vets here deal with dairy cows.

Sue
Stonecroft