[Jacob-list] Thin ewe

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 3 13:21:31 EDT 2008

>I am looking for suggestions.....I have an 8 yr. old ewe who has been very

thin since lambing with triplets this spring. I have attempted to >improve
her condition with diet but no avail. She does eat/graze but not as much -
she was last wormed with Safeguard on July 11. She >was tested in 2002 for
OPP and was negative. She is deteriorating, is very thin, and is now
confined in a lambing jug and walking in >circles. She eats with gusto when
I give her sweet feed. I have given her Vit. B, also Bo/Se and probiotics.
Any ideas?

>Sue

>Stonecroft

============
I also recommend another deworming with a different dewormer that was
mentioned previously by Hannah. I use Ivermectin in the fall because it is
a broad spectrum dewormer (except tapeworms) and botacide; but cydectin or
valbazen might be better. We don't have parasite problems here, but it can
be much worse in other parts of the country. Having triplets can be hard
on an older ewe. My sheep never had triplets, but a friend of mine always
supplements the triplets with milk replacer so that all the lambs get
adequate nutrition and it helps take the pressure off the ewe. Also try
feeding her alfalfa, it is a rich feed with lots of nutrients, especially
calcium.

Good luck,
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho