[Jacob-list] my first sheep show

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed Oct 29 21:31:26 EDT 2008

Well, not really my first, as I got to show PW Madison at MSWF (thanks, Royal). But the first where I went through the entire process of entering, halter breaking, transporting, and dragging a sheep around the show ring. It was the first ever dedicated Jacob Sheep classes at SAFF, although Jacobs have been shown at SAFF since the first SAFF (Neal Grose won GC Ram at the first SAFF with a Jacob). We filled the classes and there will be Jacob classes again next year. Thank you to every one that supported us in getting this done.
I realize that in some parts of the country only children show sheep. (joke). After seeing how much fun everyone was having showing sheep at SAFF, I can only say that we must all be child-like here in this part of the country. There were no winners or losers, although there were first place through last place sheep. We all won as we all learned and we all had FUN! Since I'm also a vendor at SAFF along with Cathy of Perfect Spot, I had limited room in my mini-van so only carried two ewe lambs - both entered in the same class, of course. Royal also entered more sheep than he and Sue could show. A big part of the fun was in getting so many people involved in the showing as we handed lead lines to anyone that would take one. A high point for me was that Arianna didn't lie down in the show ring, as she has been prone to do at home!
As much fun as it was and as much I enjoyed hearing the judge's comments, I have to say that I still can't take show placings very seriously. My ewes placed pretty well in the ewe lamb class (2nd and 3rd), but there was a ewe lamb that placed down near the bottom that I consider an excellent example of a primitive Jacob and would love to have in my flock.
The ~20 Jacobs at SAFF attracted alot of attention and two people went home as new Jacob owners and a few more went home with JSBA membership applications. My Google alert has come up with three references to Jacobs at SAFF. The show was definitely a success in promoting our breed.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com