[Jacob-list] winter shearing

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed Nov 26 12:58:51 EST 2008

Thanks everyone for the shearing thoughts. Mick - I'd love to get the shearer to come twice. He's willing, but he charges a pretty hefty travel fee, so it's prohibitive to have him twice.

Boy, Tom, I sure know what you mean about shearers! They are scarce here, too. The circuit shearers get here in May, which is alot later than I like. I very much appreciate our shearer and know how lucky we are to have a shearer that works with our schedule. Once it starts to to hot and humid, the sheep spend alot of time rubbing on fence posts to the detriment of their fleeces. We used to shear after lambing (mid April). I never did notice any "lambing stress" breaks in the fleece, so I don't mind shearing after lambing, except for how much easier it is to watch sheared ewes at lambing time.

I may go ahead and shear in January if we get a weather break.

Linda

> Everyone shears here in April and May. Most animals are outside all

> winter, and it can freeze to late April. We, therefore, lamb well

> before we shear. Shearers are getting scarce, and are like migrant

> workers or judge's riding circuit. We take them when we can get

> them.

> Thomas P. Carnes

> 713.921.7790 (Telephone)

> 713.921.7793 (Facsimile)