[Jacob-list] New to Jacobs

G & J Johnston westergladstone at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 6 20:08:47 EST 2008

<< what do I do to make sure that the tails and hocks don't get invaded by maggots and other little nasties?>>

There are various products which can be applied to the fleece in the summer months which will prevent fly eggs from hatching and / or kill the maggots if they do (also treat ticks, mites, lice, allsorts). They vary in ease of application, strength, action and environmental acceptability. As I live in Britain I do not know which products are available in the US but your veterinarian will be able to help I am sure. Fly strike can kill an animal in a horrible way, so prevention is a necessity. Other measures you can adopt are 'dagging' the rear ends (trimming dirty wool with hand shears/daggers), keeping up to date with worming, and being very observant of your sheep, looking out for strange behaviour patterns which would demonstrate that the sheep is being bothered by flies . Sheep are very watchable creatures so you will soon learn what behaviour is normal and what is not.
Any breed of sheep, including Jacobs, is susceptible to fly strike. Being in an area where there are plenty of other sheep, particularly if they suffer from fly strike, can increase the incidence in your own animals, and living in a breezy area can help to keep the flies away.
I have never docked my Jacobs and think they look beautiful with tails swinging.
Juliet in Scotland