[Jacob-list] corn gluten/ration

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Nov 3 05:25:09 EST 2008

Any bi-product feed should be tested before it is fed. Feed testing is not that expensive. Corn distillers grain and glycerol have excellent feed values but can be variable. as the industry matures, we will see more standards placed on these products to make them more easily used.

The ethanol industry needs corn as a stop gap to establish ethanol in the market. I expect to see more whole plant ethanol production come on line, but I hope we don't move wholesale to removing crop residue. This residue is an important resource for soil improvement and carbon sequestration. There is a promising experiment down in Louisiana to harvest sap from sweet sorghum in the field with a presser that looks like a huge combine, and leaves the residue.

Neal Grose