[Jacob-list] corn gluten/ration

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Nov 2 18:17:28 EST 2008

*smile*. I have to say that I'm going to miss Pete now that we've sold the last
donkey. He's an interesting person and quite the story teller.

We didn't worry as much about founder as the fact that anything extra makes the
hooves grow at an accelerated rate, so more frequent trimming was required to
maintain hoof health. I also can't stand to see donkeys that start getting
those fat deposits along their necks and spines.

I still miss our donkeys, though. Leading Arwen to the trailer on her way to her
new home was a real tear jerker. If we ever get out of this drought, I'll
probably be looking for another one!

Linda

> Have to keep rubbing in what a good farrier you have huh? ;-) I

> still am jealous as all get out.... I just got a new farrier, and

> hope things will be OK!

> But ditto to what robin is saying Donkeys, specifically minis and

> smaller ones are VERY prone to founder... so too much of anything

> is a concern... Most do great on next to nothing! We feed alfalfa

> also, so I understand your worry.... I think a creep type set up to

> keep the donkey out of the good stuff is a good plan

>>> Subject: [Jacob-list] corn gluten/ration

>>> Does anyone have any experience/information with feeding corn

>>> gluten? Our local hay supplier uses it for his cattle during the

>>> winter. It's 1/2 the price of whole corn.

>>> From what I've been able to garner from the web, it wouldn't be

>>> recommended as the complete diet. Also the copper content can be

>>> variable. I didn't see the bag it came in, so didn't get a

>>> chance

>>> to read the label.

>>> This year I'm going back to mixing my own feed ration. I did it

>>> for about 8 years, but went to premixes when I got more sheep.

>>> The sheep did very well on my mix. I liked the Blue Seal sheep

>>> feed, but we just lost the Blue Seal dealer that was 35 miles

>>> away in SC. The next closest is 65 miles in NC and the cost in

>>> time and gas just doesn't make sense to me.

>>> My sheep mix consists of whole corn, whole oats, soybean meal,

>>> wheat bran, and livestock molasses. I'd appreciate hearing from

>>> others that mix their own feeds and what home made mixes have

>>> worked for you.

>>> Thank you,

>>> Linda

>>> http://www.patchworkfibers.com

>>> Registered Jacob Sheep, Handspun Yarn

>>> Jacob-list mailing list, sponsored by Swallow Lane Farm &

>>> Fiberworks