[Jacob-list] corn gluten/ration

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Sun Nov 2 11:53:11 EST 2008

I wouldn't feed something with questionable copper content no matter how good a deal it seems. Also, is this because hay in your area isn't of good quality? I feed hardly feed grain at all and my sheep are fat on alfalfa. I do buy a little bit of grain but I use if sparingly. During lambing season I mix a medium size bucket of half COB and half alfalfa pellets (cheaper) and I spread that out in all the feeders. But this is one bucket for 50-60 sheep and goats so you know that they're all getting only a very small amount. This is one way I have of checking to see who might not be feeling good (ready to lamb).

Speaking of alfalfa, I just got a donkey and now I'm realizing that since I'll be feeding alfalfa all winter, the donkey will be getting that too unless I separate her. I didn't want to make life more complicated with this addition. Any advice from donkey owners?
Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com