[Jacob-list] corn gluten/ration

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Nov 2 07:12:31 EST 2008

Does anyone have any experience/information with feeding corn gluten? Our local
hay supplier uses it for his cattle during the winter. It's 1/2 the price of
whole corn.

From what I've been able to garner from the web, it wouldn't be recommended as
the complete diet. Also the copper content can be variable. I didn't see the bag
it came in, so didn't get a chance to read the label.

This year I'm going back to mixing my own feed ration. I did it for about 8
years, but went to premixes when I got more sheep. The sheep did very well on my
mix. I liked the Blue Seal sheep feed, but we just lost the Blue Seal dealer
that was 35 miles away in SC. The next closest is 65 miles in NC and the cost in
time and gas just doesn't make sense to me.

My sheep mix consists of whole corn, whole oats, soybean meal, wheat bran, and
livestock molasses. I'd appreciate hearing from others that mix their own feeds
and what home made mixes have worked for you.

Thank you,
Linda

http://www.patchworkfibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep, Handspun Yarn