[Jacob-list] ram aggression

Brenalan Farm info at brenalanfarm.com
Thu May 22 20:36:17 EDT 2008

I'd be interested in hearing from the group about how much aggression is "normal" in adult Jacob rambs. Rams older than yearlings. There was some recent butting in my neighborhood. I think we all know that it isn't smart to trust any ram not to butt... like never assuming the firearm is unloaded or the other driver won't make a mistake. That said- how many rams do you think would butt a person in their field given an easy shot at him or her? I am looking for something like all of them or 10% or half. Just a general conclusion. And I was thinking of the "normal" ram that has been bred, not exceptions like bottle babies that are overly familiar with people. My limited experience has been that the rams are much more aggressive when they think they should be with the ewes (e.g. when ewes are probably cycling) and less so when the ewes are out of sight and mind, and more so as they get older. Is that a pattern others see?