[Jacob-list] Very concerned... Injured ram question

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Wed May 7 15:18:04 EDT 2008

I don't think it's an emergency, but watch the swelling. Take a look at Ranger's photos on my website: http://www.meridianjacobs.com/sheep.html Do you see how in the lower photo his right horns are tipped sideways more than in the upper photo? And the lower horn is right near his face now? He got in a fight around Christmas time and all I saw was a bit of blood around the base of the horn. After a few days I realized that they eye was very swollen and seemed damaged. Well, it turns out that there was so much swelling behind his eye that the eyeball was pushed too far forward for him to be able to close the lid over it. That is what caused the damage to the eye itself. I put him in a separate pen and started him on antibiotics and banamine, as well an ophthalmic ointment several times a day. I would also stretch the eyelid over the eyeball after using the ointment and hold it there for a short time. I treated him for a few weeks (I think) with the banamine and for longer with the ointment.

I just checked my notes and he was injured 12/28. I started penicillin 3 days later and switched to nuflor which I continued for a couple of weeks. Ranger felt good enough to jump out of the pen and find a ewe in heat on shearing day (Jan 13) which means I'll have lambs in June, 2 1/2 months after every one else has lambed. I still kept him separate until I felt as though he had healed more. We decided that he broke the skull--when you wiggled the top the horn the lower one moved with it as if the whole corner of his skull was separate from the rest. Now his horns are tipped and his eye looks funny because it sits in a slightly different position. By the way, he has only a small cloudy area in the middle of the eyeball, but the rest of the eye healed. That was amazing considering how bad it looked.

I wondered about brain injury, but like my vet said, he doesn't need to drive heavy machinery so if he can find the ewes it probably doesn't matter.
Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com