[Jacob-list] Wethering question?

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 29 16:09:06 EDT 2008

Hi Gail,
I've never heard that castrating too young causes urinary calculi
problems; although perhaps there is the possibility of some urinary
problems. I have several wethers so I am interested in this. None have or
ever had urinary problems and they were surgically castrated at 7 days. I
tried adding vinegar to their water to prevent urinary calculi, but gave it
up. I don't think it helps.

Also, I have two castrated rams that were surgically done at around 8
months so that the four horns could develop, and they did. You will need a
vet to do the surgery and especially use a local anesthetic.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho
The following is an exchange about urinary calculi on sheep-l, March
18,2008. The answer was written by Woody Lane, a livestock consultant. I
don't think he would mind if I share it. It might save a wether and/or ram
someday.

>This statement was from an article that appeared in our local newspaper:

>"Urinary calculi (stones) in rams and wethers is caused by two feeding

>practices, a diet high in mineral/salts and by feeding alfalfa".

>Is this true? I can see why this is being written, the vet and Club

>leader assumes that the "calculi" must be from the calcium in the alfalfa

>and also from the minerals.

>If so, then it is a wonder that my rams and wethers are still alive. I

>remember on this list that feeding extra mineral/salts a few times a week

>or so will increase the consumption of water. I thought feeding some

>alfalfa kept a high calcium/phosphorous ratio that prevents UC. I thought

>that a low C/P ratio (from feeding a lot of grain) PLUS limited water

>intake causes UC.

Hi Cathy,
That FFA-4H statement was simplistic and incomplete, and therefore
misleading and wrong.

Urinary calculi definitely occurs due to a mineral imbalance. The most
common calculi is due primarily to a low amount of calcium compared to
phosphorus in the diet of growing animals. Our general recommendation of a
dietary 2:1 ratio of Ca:P was designed principally to prevent urinary
calculi in growing males, particularly in castrates. Alfalfa generally has
a Ca:P ratio of 3:1 or higher.
There is also a type of calculi caused by excess silica, which can occur in
arid regions.
Sometimes, a diet high in calcium can cause a calcitic calculi, but this is
not common. This probably occurs in conjunction with a relatively high
level of oxalates in the plants, which most plants don't have. The
veterinary literature typically associated these calcium calculi with
subterranean clover, but I really don't believe it, as there must be
additional factors than simply forage species. In western Oregon, we rely
heavily on subclover in our pastures, and at certain times of the year,
subclover can be a primary forage species in some fields, yet we don't see
these calculi problems here.

You might take that FFA-4H document with a grain of salt.
Best regards.
Woody