[Jacob-list] lambing ratios

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 13:10:55 EDT 2008

So far this year we have 14 ewe lambs and 9 rams - 7 sets of twins, one w/2 ewes and one w/2 rams - only three more to lamb - then in May the Navajos will lamb. We had to go to the vet Wed as we had a present-butt-first case. We have one really low color girl that is a Maverick Capone (ram) grand-daughter that will not make 15% black but should be a great fiber girl for a spinner taht wants a high-luster Jacob fleece. I have one Jacob, Eliza, that seems to have adopted the ewe lamb of Jane who lambed just ahead of her - so, she thinks she has twins, but the lamb thinks she has two moms.

Too early to tell much about horns yet. Only the mid-Feb ewe and her brother are sporting their 2H headset.

In 2005, we had 11 rams and only 3 ewes; and last year it was about even.