[Jacob-list] Foot injury

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon Mar 24 18:10:33 EDT 2008

That's about the way we do it here. I trim when they need it, which isn't often. Our farrier, Pete Ramey is pretty much the authority on barefoot horses and natural hoof care (horses, not sheep). He's pretty on the fact that the more often you trim, the more often you have to trim. He also stresses that feed has a big impact on just how fast they grow. More trimming is needed in wet weather than dry. I do keep an eye on their feet, but I don't do any scheduled hoof trimming.

I REALLY appreciate my shearer and the time and effort he puts into making a 3 hour drive (one way) to come shear my sheep. I wouldn't think of asking him to do anything except shear.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com