[Jacob-list] Its the simple things in life!!

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 19:40:50 EDT 2008

Wonderful story - thanks for sharing.

"R. Unzicker" <runzicker at verizon.net> wrote: Once again I am reminded its the simple things in life that I find rewarding. Yesterday morning I went out to feed the ewes and Jacobs Ladder Maizie was standing there with a nose, no feet, just a nose visible from her posterior! I hate that sight, especially on a 12 year old ewe. She did not seem in distress so I opted to feed the rest of the ewes first, mostly to quiet them down so I could think! By the time I got back to her, the lamb had just slid out. Gees, it was the smallest lamb I have ever seen! It was breathing but just laid there. To make a long story shorter, it was too small and weak to even lift its head. We milked out colostrum and tubed it. Did the same thing two hours later. On the third feeding I tried the bottle. Lamb is still laying out flat. The hole in this bottle nipple is so big the milk just drips out. The lamb either swallows or the milk runs out the sides of its mouth.
Luckily it swallowed. Kept doing this throughout the day with no noticeable improvement. Maizie is being a very attentive mom all the while. At the 9 and 11pm "feedings" the lamb did not noticeably swallow. Depressing! I went to bed knowing what I'd find this morning. Didn't even bother to get up during the night. I dreaded going to the barn this morning. Lambs that are not breathing are not my favorite things to see.

I took a box with me to put the body in. I walked in the barn and after a bit of hesitation, finally decided to look in Maizie's pen. Lo and behold the lamb was sitting up. Couldn't stand but at least he ws sitting up. Did I ever feel guilty for not going out during the night to feed. So I hurried back in the house to get some milk. He actually was glad for it. 15 minutes later he managed to stand, allbeit leaning against the wall. Eventually took a few wabbly steps away from the wall. This was the best moment of the whole lambing season, maybe of all lambing seasons. I had to leave for several hours and decided mother nature knew more about this than I so off I went, wondering all the time how the lamb was doing. When I got back I hurried to the barn to see what was happening. There was the little 3 pound lamb standing, AND nursing! What a sight! I am sure this all had more to do with the hardiness of Jacobs rather than anything the shepherd
did. In fact, in retrospect, I think I probably fed it too much. No wonder it didn't suck at 9 and 11!

The small wight is no reflection on the Jacobs Ladder ewes. Later in the day Jacobs Ladder Maple delived twin 4 horned rams, weighing 6.5 and 9 poounds. Two more adult ewes and four yearlings to lamb yet. I am already thinking about which rams to put with which ewes next fall!!!!
Royal