[Jacob-list] chickens

fourhornfarm fourhornfarm at verizon.net
Sun Mar 2 19:22:57 EST 2008

Hello All,

I'm not sure how many of you realize that there are purebred poultry breeds and there are production poultry breeds.
Purebred poultry should meet the type, color and other requirements for the breed and variety as set down in The American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection. Production poultry looks similar to their purebred counterparts, but are bred for either egg production, meat production or dual purpose, eggs and meat and are usually what you get from hatcheries.
In comparison it is like a JSBA registered Jacob as compared to one that someone calls a Jacob, but would not meet the registration requirements. The one that is called a Jacob is still good to eat or use it's wool. There is a place for both depending on what you want. I just wanted to introduce those who are not aware of purebred poultry to the difference.
There are poultry clubs in every state that put on open poultry shows for those that want to show or attend a show. There is a poultry magazine that is published once a month that has articles about poultry, poultry for sale and also tells when and where the shows will be held and who won at the shows that have already taken place. These open shows are in addition to county fairs and state fairs that usually have a poultry show.
If you think you might be interested in purebred poultry try googling Poultry Press or the American Poultry Association.
Have fun whatever you choose.

Regards,
Carl