[Jacob-list] Broken tails and heritage chickens

Sharon Hill sharonehill at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 10:52:30 EST 2008

I think Neal was right about a dog causing the broken
tail on my sheep. Now that he mentioned it, I
remember one of my dogs got in with the sheep a while
back and there a patch of missing wool near her
backside. That must have been it. Thanks Neal.

As for chickens, I really like my Buff Orpingtons.
They are large pretty birds, good layers. I also have
some Rhode Island Reds. They are also a good size and
I like them. No violent specimens here. Both of
these breeds are listed as recovering.

When I first started raising chickens about 10 years
ago, I got a few Lakenvelder. They are classified as
"threatened." They were very pretty. The description
of them on the poultry site doesn't sound very nice,
(They are quite small, non-broody, lay white shelled
eggs and are rather wild and flighty.)
but I liked mine. They were dispatched by a fox quite
a while ago, so I don't remember anything about their
laying habits and their eggs. I would get them again,
but I don't want to order another 25 chicks as I have
plenty of chickens as it is.

I hope this helps.

Sharon Hill