[Jacob-list] Feeding Jacobs

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 23 21:56:27 EDT 2008

I have heard that some sheep will have a woolbreak just from going from one type of feed to another (alfalfa to grass or adding or removing large quantities of grain). Don't know if it is a sudden change in nutrition or what - and I haven't seen any "proof" of this - only what I have been told. And, I haven't been told of this in Jacob sheep - but I believe from a Romney owner. I still go back to the fact that Jacob are a primitive breed that has thrived on such a wide range of environments and seem to do fine. I don't like to overthink or make things more complicated than they need to be. And, my sheep do not seem to have suffered from my "minimal" management (other than a case of selenium deficiency this year when I thought they were getting enough from the mineral salt block). I surly don't want to cause my sheep to become dependent upon too much interference like the "improved" breeds that need constant care and attention just to survive.

Linda <patchworkfibers at alltel.net> wrote:
Can you see any reason that feeding alfalfa - or any feed for that matter - would cause a break in the wool? I've had sheep with wool breaks - once seriously enough that all the wool fell off and the lamb had to wear a pink sweater. That break was due to a serious parasite load. Although I've heard that you can see a break in the fleece if you shear after lambing, I haven't seen that. I do shear before lambing these days, but that's for my convenience.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com

> Sheep are going to eat to meet their energy needs. You don't
> mention the energy level of the feeds you are talking about here. I
> am going to guess that in Northern California, 16% protein alfalfa
> is about 68% Total Digestible Nutrients or about 65mcals/lb. Here
> in North Carolina, 16% P alfalfa would only be about 60% TDN. The
> relative energy value on grass hay would be lower. They will have
> to eat more of the grass hay than the alfalfa to meet their needs.
>
> If these are adult non-lactating sheep, then they need a ration
> that is only 60% TDN and 11-12% protein. Good quality alfalfa would
> be over-feeding these sheep. But, the extra calcium might be useful
> in recharging the bone reserves after lactation.
>
> Regardless of breed, lactating ewes and growing lambs need a total
> ration that is 72% TDN and 16% protein to maintain consistent
> growth. They can get this through additional grain or from milk
> from their mothers. The only other source to boost energy is to
> obtain it from selective grazing of early vegetative growth. Or
> from picking the leaves out of the alfalfa.
>
> I don't think it matters whether you are feeding grass or alfalfa.
> Storage of hay shouldn't reduce the value enough to worry about as
> long as it is kept in a dry barn. You can always send off a feed
> sample to a lab to make sure. (Or ask your supplier for a test
> result.)
>
> Neal Grose

Jack and Jaci