[Jacob-list] Feeding Jacobs

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Jun 23 04:41:25 EDT 2008

Sheep are going to eat to meet their energy needs. You don't mention the energy level of the feeds you are talking about here. I am going to guess that in Northern California, 16% protein alfalfa is about 68% Total Digestible Nutrients or about 65mcals/lb. Here in North Carolina, 16% P alfalfa would only be about 60% TDN. The relative energy value on grass hay would be lower. They will have to eat more of the grass hay than the alfalfa to meet their needs.

If these are adult non-lactating sheep, then they need a ration that is only 60% TDN and 11-12% protein. Good quality alfalfa would be over-feeding these sheep. But, the extra calcium might be useful in recharging the bone reserves after lactation.

Regardless of breed, lactating ewes and growing lambs need a total ration that is 72% TDN and 16% protein to maintain consistent growth. They can get this through additional grain or from milk from their mothers. The only other source to boost energy is to obtain it from selective grazing of early vegetative growth. Or from picking the leaves out of the alfalfa.

I don't think it matters whether you are feeding grass or alfalfa. Storage of hay shouldn't reduce the value enough to worry about as long as it is kept in a dry barn. You can always send off a feed sample to a lab to make sure. (Or ask your supplier for a test result.)

Neal Grose