[Jacob-list] horn, supplies and working with

Woodson Gannaway wtg12345 at mac.com
Wed Jun 18 18:58:19 EDT 2008

Dear Friends,

I came across your list while trying to find info on the net about
sheep horns that are black. When I lived in (The Canary Islands,)
Spain 15-20 years ago I became an experienced hornworker as part of
the work I did there. I guess I worked up 1000-2000 goat and sheep
horns during that time. We made them into smallish pieces that were
part of the handle of the traditional style knife of that region. For
contrast we used both black and amber colored horns.

Reading the list archives back a year turned up exactly one person
asking about using horn. I wonder: when an animal with good-sized
horns dies do you save the horns? If you (plural) don't, would you? I
would like to get a small number each year, and maybe some of you
would enjoy making things from them too.

I am starting to do that same work again now and hope to have supplies
of black, white, amber, and whatever other colors of horn are available.

Sincerely,
Woodson Gannaway