[Jacob-list] Lamb Constipation

Shannon Phifer kenleighacres at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 12:23:12 EDT 2008

This has been our experience as well! Keep the area cleaned and it should clear up in a day or two. I have a couple ewes that have EXTREMELY rich milk and I have to be careful when I put them in the lambing jug because if I give them extra good food in the first couple days their lambs suffer for it.

Shannon Phifer
Kenleigh Acres Farm
www.kenleigh-acres.com
That'll Do Photography
www.thatlldo.photoreflect.com

I had a similar experience with twins from an older ewe. The lamb's
backend and down the back legs were covered with lots of thick "hot
glue/carmel taffy/gold tar". I thought something was wrong so I looked for
answers. I don't remember where I heard the following, but I will pass it
on. This happens because mom's milk is very, make that extremely, rich.
That means lots of nutrients and/or lots of fatty substances (like when we
say that Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream is very rich). Not that the two products
are the same of course. This gooey mess isn't that big of a problem and my
source said (or wrote) that it isn't necessary to give the lamb anything at
the other end (by mouth). In my situation it only lasted a few days.

It is difficult to wash this gooey stuff off the lambs so I was told to
wash the lambs and then coat the area with an oily substance so the "tar"
doesn't stick to the lamb's wool. Petroleum jelly would work well, but
then the ewe would lick it off and it is a petroleum product. Maybe it was
mineral oil, that might work. Something greasy, yet edible. I don't
remember what it was because the problem subsided after a few days and I
didn't need to do it. The lambs were just fine. Also, this only happened
one year, the ewe went back to having regular colostrum/milk after that.

Let us know if the Desitin works. BTW, this is not considered
constipation. Lamb constipation is a serious problem when the
black-colored meconium isn't expelled from the newborn lamb.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho